paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


PS Dandie Dinmont
Built in 1866 by A and J Inglis at Pointhouse
Engines : 2 cylinder simple oscillating, 40 in x 60 in
Dimensions : 197.2 ft x 22.1 ft
215 Gross Registered Tonnes

Sailed in 1866 only on the Helensburgh - Ardrishaig route for the North British S P Co
Laid up in 1867
Spent 1868 on the Firth of Forth, sailing between Granton and Burntisland
Also appeared on the River Tay
Returned to the Clyde in 1869 for the NB on Helensburgh to Dunoon and Holy Loch sailings
Reboilered in 1870 and 1881
Displaced by new tonnage in 1885
Sold to the Southsea, Ventnor, Sandown and Shanklin Steamboat Company in 1888 for service on the Solent
Engines compounded in the winter of 1889-90
Sank in Portsmouth harbour but raised and returned to service
Laid up after the 1900 season and scrapped in the Netherlands in 1902

Return to
North British
Southsea, Ventnor, Sandown & Shanklin Steamboat Co
British Paddle Steamer Index