paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


PS Glen Gower
Launched on February 14th 1922 by Ailsa Shipbuilding at Troon
Engines : Compound diagonal (formerly fitted in PS Albion)
Dimensions : 235.1 ft x 28.5 ft
553 Gross Registered Tonnes

Built for Campbell's Swansea - Ilfracombe service and fitted with the engines from the scrapped PS Albion
Double ended boiler installed - so vessel had two funnels
Requisitioned in World War II, going to the Tyne as HMS Glenmore
Took part in the Dunkirk evacuations in 1940, being towed to safety by fleet-mate HMS Snaefell (PS Waverley) after grounding.
Returned to Bristol Channel service for the 1947 season after extensive reconditioning.
Post-war economic difficulties dictated that Glen Gower (like several fleet mates) was laid up from time to time in the 1950s
Laid up after the 1957 season and not reactivated, the decision was taken in early 1960 to sell Glen Gower to Belgian breakers.
Left the Bristol Channel under tow on April 7th 1960

Return to:
P and A Campbell
P and A Campbell - Sussex Operations
British Paddle Steamer Index