paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of
Paddle Steamers past and present
PS Hansa at Bornhofen in a post card by Hoursch & Bechstedt of Koln-Ehrenfeld
from their Rheingold series, card No 588. Source : Gordon Stewart collection
in 1886 by Smit & Zoon, Kinderdijk, Netherlands
Length : 68.6 metres x 13.6 m breadth over sponsons
Engines : Compound 2 cylinder by Escher, Wyss of Zurich
Served until the First World War
and taken over by the French occupational force after the war.
Sold in 1924 to Wilhelm Peters and moored at the Mulheimer Ship Bridge at cologne-Niehl as a house boat
Moved to Dusseldorf in 1940 - first at Benrath then Volmerswerth from 1977-87 under a
series of private owners.
Original appearance substantially altered, especially with a large
deckhouse put on the main deck
Sold in 1988 to a new private owner and restoration began as the
ship's hull was completely sand blasted.
Work ceased before completion and the vessel was left to
Taken to the dock at Koln - Mulheim in 1998 with restoration still
planned but not actioned
Various plans have existed to rebuild the Hansa using the engines of the former KD paddler Cecilie - but none have progressed
Above : The remains of paddle
steamer "Hansa" at Cologne on 15th November 2005. Photo by kind
courtesy of Olivier Bachmann
Laid-up Paddle Steamers