paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


P.S. Jeanie Deans 

Above : As built, in her first season, 1931. Black hull with dark red boot topping, brown panelling on the sponsons with black vents. White upperworks with teak effect deckhouse above the aft companionway. Red white and black banded funnels. Post card view - Clyde River Steamer Club

In 1936, the LNER adopted a new colour scheme, a less intricate design, with grey hulls with white upper-works and deckhouses which lasted until World War II. The traditional funnel colours remained unchanged


Jeanie deans grey PC MB.jpg


Above: Valentine's Post card posted from Dunoon in April 1938 kindly supplied by Michael Brown from his collection


Jeanie deans grey arrochar PC MB.jpg


Above : A Judges photo of Jeanie Deans at Arrochar issued as a post card kindly supplied by Michael Brown from his collection
She was considerably altered during her post-war refit, most notably with deckhouses fore and aft, an enclosed teak faced wheelhouse and new funnels.
The post-war colours of the LNER were worn for the 1946 and 1947 seasons only, but were welcomed by Clyde purists as they closely resembled the pre-1936 livery, including cream upperworks and gold lining around the hull a few inches below the upperworks. More noticeably different were the sponson housings which were white and no longer brown, but brown paint between the windows of the restaurant aft, giving her an unusuall appearance and a unique one for her fleet.  

Above: In 1948, ownership passed to the BTC, but her livery initially remained unchanged except for the yellow and black funnels. Post card view

Above: After full integration into the CSP fleet, she was to have her deckhouses painted white and her vents painted silver with light blue innards, to match her new stable-mates, but Jeanie (and other ex-LNER paddlers) retained black paddle boxes. The gold lining on the hull was an early casualty to standardisation (and cost saving). Post card view.
She was withdrawn from service immediately before the introduction of the CSP's new livery of "monastral blue" hulls and lion rampant funnel emblems


Below : Two views taken in 1959 - by kind courtesy of Gillon Ferguson


Above : Leaving Craigendoran

Above : Approaching Rothesay


Above :  photo by Jimmy Reid, kindly supplied by Ronnie McLeod



Above : Photo by Alexander Bain, kindly supplied by Donald Bain



Above : When Don Rose bought Jeanie Deans, it was hoped that the elderly vessel would be as much of a success on the Thames as she had been on the Clyde. Paddle steamers had disappeared from the capital city and its mighty river, but not so long ago as for them to be forgotten. Could the "Queen of the South"an old tradition ? There were high hopes when Tom Lee gort this photo in London in May 1966


Above : Queen of the South's time on the Thames was plagued by mechanical breakdowns. She made it to Southend this time in August 1966. Photo by kind courtesy of Tom Lee



Above : In the Pool of London in 1967. Photo by kind courtesy of Gillon Ferguson


Return to
Jeanie Deans