paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


PS Johann Strauss

Above : Johann Strauss in 2006
Built at Linz in 1950 using hull and machinery from two older steamers

Hull - iron, salvaged from PS Grein (built in 1853 as PS Carl Ludwig, renamed in 1938) - Length : 70 metres

Machinery - Compound diagonal, by Sachsenberg Bros. salvaged from PS Johann Strauss (ex-Erzherzog Franz Ferdinand, built 1913)

Built in 1950 to reopen DDSG services between Linz and Passau after the end of World War II
Superstructure : Salvaged from PS Johann Strauss
Withdrawn in 1972
Established as a restaurant in 1975 at Wallsee before being moved to the Danube Canal in Vienna
Engines and boilers have been removed

Latterly known as "Clubschiff", with eating facilities open from mid-afternoon and a discotheque through to the early hours of the morning
The nightclub was closed in 2013 and the ship now lies in poor condition, still at her prime location at the Salztorbrucke at  Schwdenplatz, Vienna

In July 2016 the local Wiener Zeitung reported that there were hopes for a 700,000 Euro refurbishment to prepare her for use as a traditional Viennese coffee house aimed as far eastern tourists. 

JOHANN STRAUSS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION


2006

2016


In May 2007 it was reported in the Austrian press that Johan Strauss was to be rebuit as a hotel-ship designed to attract Japanese tourists interested in music. 15-20 luxury bedroom suites are envisaged, each furnished in classical Viennese style. 12 million Euros have been earmarked for the conversion by owners DDS Johann Strauss which is expected to be completed by the end of 2007. The rather uninviting canalside where she is moored is also to be transformed with various food pavillions, with a strong "fish" theme.


Return to:
Statically Preserved Steamers
DDSG - Danube Historical