paddlesteamers.info  :  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers


Preserved Paddle Tug - awaiting restoration

John H Amos



Above : John H Amos on a pontoon on the Medway awaiting restoration. Photo by kind courtesy of Chris Allen

Built : 1931 by Bow, McLachlan & Co at Paisley, Scotland
Two compound diagonal engines, with separate engines for each wheel
110 ft x 22.6 ft

Used as a tug / tender on the River Tees until 1967
Remained on the Tees until 1976, latterly at Stockton, with hopes of her being a local museum attraction
Moved to the Medway and reactivated for use on the Medway and Thames on behalf of the Medway Maritime Museum and renamed Hero
Usage was short lived and the vessel was laid up at Chatham, eventually sinking on the tide
In 2001 the Medway Maritime Trust was formed as a charitable organisation.
National Heritage Lottery funding secured to pay for the development of a conservation plan as a first step towards preservation
The Trust now also own a pontoon onto which the vessel was hoisted at the end of March 2008. No substantial work appears to have been undertaken since

johnhamosstocktons.jpg
Above : On the River Tees at Stockton at the end of her career.
Photo by the late Con Foley, kindly supplied by Nick Quarmby



Above  : At Chatham in 1988 by Gordon Stewart


Above : John H Amos (left) at Chatham on 18th September 1993. Photo by kind courtesy of Phil Barnes
For a selection of photos from 1992 by Phil Barnes, click here

 
Above : John H Amos at Chatham on May 4th 1998.  Photo by kind courtesy of Phil Barnes
Website

Return to


Paddle Tugs