paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


PS Marmion
Launched on May 5th, 1906 by A and J Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow
Engines : Compound diagonal, 31 and 56 in x 66
Dimensions : 210 ft x 24 ft
403 Gross Registered Tonnes (later 414 and 409)

Placed on the Loch Goil and Arrochar service for the North British SP
Requisitioned for mineweeping duty at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II
Promenade deck extended to the bow
Returned to Clyde for 1920 season but her design changes had been unsatisfactory
Laid up after the 1920 season
The fore saloon was cut back to a point slightly in front of the bridge in 1923
Returned to service in 1926 as an all-year-round vessel
Reboilered in 1932
Requisitioned for war service. The Admiralty required the saloon to be extended once again
Stationed at Harwich and survived the Dunkirk evacuations
Sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on the night of April 8th 1941. Raised and scrapped

Return to
North British
LNER
British Paddle Steamer Index

.