:  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers

Pembroke Dock - Neyland :  River Cleddau Ferry

The Cleddau River is approximately one kilometre wide at Neyland but the journey to Pembroke Dock by road was approximately fifty kilometres. Two paddle steamers were used (Alumchine and Cleddau Queen) and were joined by Voith-Schneider propelled Cleddau King in 1962. The ferry service ended in 1975 when a bridge was finally opened.

Above : The Pembroke ferry in west Wales is remarkable to the extent that the UK's last paddle steamer was built to serve the short crossing of the Cleddau River to Neyland. Paddle Steamer Cleddau Queen was introduced in 1956 and was a small primarily vehicular ferry and replaced the older passenger ferry PS Alumchine. She later sailed in association with the newer Voith-Schneider propelled diesel ferry Cleddau King and was converted to closely match her, with the removal of her paddles and steam machinery in 1968. The ferry service survived until 1975 and the opening of a road bridge but Cleddau Queen under a range of new names found further employment, ultimately in Nigeria as an offshore support vessel.
Photo above : Cleddau Queen in 1965 by Alan Harris kindly made available under Creative Commons licence :

Built in 1924 by Abdella & Mitchell of Queensferry, North Wales
80 ft : 76 GRT
Built for the borough of Caernarfon for the ferry service to Foel on Anglesey as Menna
Renamed Alumchine in 1929
Moved to Pembroke in 1933
Held in reserve from 1956
Scrapped in 1965 after an attempt at preservation by paddle steamer enthusiasts

Cleddau Queen
Built in 1956 by Hancocks Shipbuilding Co at Pembroke
158 GRT
Built for Pembrokeshire Council

Converted to diesel and Voith-Schneider propulsion in 1968
Withdrawn in 1975 and sold

Return to

Historical Database