paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


PS Queen of Thanet (1864, ex - Carham)
Built in 1864 by A and J Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow
Engines : 2 cylinder simple oscillating, 42 in x 28 in
Dimensions : 141.8 ft x 20 ft
159 Gross Registered Tonnes

Placed on the North British Railway’s Solway Firth services (Silloth - Dumfries/Annan)
Moved to Helensburgh on the Clyde when the NB reintroduced services in 1869
Placed on the Gareloch run
After the 1872 season she was sold to the Dingwall and Skye Railway
Maintained the link from Strome Ferry to the Isle of Skye town of Portree
Subsequent owners were:
Bournemouth Steam Packet Company
Ramsgate Steamship Company (who renamed her Queen of Thanet)
R and D Jones at Liverpool
Scrapped around 1890

Return to
North British
British Paddle Steamer Index