paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of
Paddle Steamers past and present
PADDLE STEAMER REACTIVATION PROJECTS
of the Loch
looks like she is ready to cast off from Balloch Pier on Loch Lomond.
Unfortunately she has been out of service since 1981, but much work in
recent years has meant she has been open to the public for static use.
In 2015, her charity owners secured support from the UK's Heritage
Lottery Fund which could have led to finance being made available to
her to return to service. Hovever, despite the submission of a
strong case for funding which had passed various stages of the approval
process and around £ 1.7 m raised to meet the requirement for
match funding from other sources, it was announced on 29th September
that the required grant would not be forthcoming due to lack of funds
being available and the Maid's application losing out to other
competing projects. The plan is to
re-submit a bid in the hope of achieving success at a future date.
Meanwhile, work will continue to be undertaken following the December
2018 announcement that a grant which formed the largest part of the
funding raised will be available for use despite the project not being
able to proceed to full vessel reactivation.
PADDLERS OWNED BY PRIVATE, ENTHUSIAST OR CHARITABLE ORGANISATIONS
Maid of the
After years of neglect after withdrawal from service in 1981, the last major paddler built for the UK remains moored at Balloch, Loch Lomond, but is now being restored by volunteers. Open for visitors to stroll around and relax in the cafe/bar she is also available as a function suite and with the adjacent steam powered slipway now restored and the working machinery available to view on selected weekends, there is now much to see. For 2019 it is hoped that the vessel's engines will be able to be turned with steam provided by a shore-side boiler. Major renovation works will continue whilst a new application to the Heritage Lottery Fund is made.
steamer built in Hungary in 1957 is under refurbishment at Gorodets,
near Nizhny Novgorod on the River Volga, by a private owner. A new
boiler has been supplied by Master-Watt who adapted a boiler from Czech
manufacturer TN for Russian conditions and the engine now works under
steam. The photos below show that the vessel has been almost completely
stripped and renewed. The official website is an excellent site
showing the search for a suitable ship and, in detail, the restoration.
It appears not to have been updated since 2010. Photographs taken in
2016 show the ship outwardly at least looking to be in good condition
at the Gorodetsky yard
Some recent photos are on this link : http://bu33er.livejournal.com/134102.html#cutid1
and more of her under restoration : http://www.infoflotforum.ru/index.php?showtopic=17564&st=155
New boiler in place : http://www.infoflotforum.ru/index.php?showtopic=17564&st=195
Video footage of vessel including engines in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l9wqjjHg5o&feature=player_embedded
Video of engines test run 4/12/2010 : http://www.dieselpunks.org/video/test-run-of-the-steamship-km
Bystryi was built in 1955 in Kiev at the Lenin Shipyard and was the last
of her type on the Volga when it was mooted in 1996 to preserve her for the
Polytechnic museum. This never happened and she was laid up at Volgoreschensk.
However she was bought by a company based in Yaroslavl in 2006 and after refurbishment
will moved there for tourist purposes as a passenger steamer. Renovation is
underway at Hlebnikovo, in the northern suburbs of Moscow.
Press report : http://news.vdv-s.ru/travel/?news=9448
Enthusist's photos of the refurbishment work : http://riverforum.ru/showthread.php?t=1712
FORMER PADDLE TUG AND RESTAURANT TO BE REBUILT FOR PASSENGER CRUISES IN WARSAW
is reported that the city authorities in Warsaw, capital of Poland,
have bought the former paddle tug Warmia (formerly Lubecki, Zimsen and
originally Poljak) which was originally built in St Petersburg, Russia,
in 1911 and reassembled in Wloclawek. She was built with
kerosene-burning engines (which are, I understand, in the Warsaw Museum
of Technology) until converted to diesel in 1964. She was in service
until 1972 and became a floating restaurant at Serock on the river
Narew, just north of Warsaw. In 2005 she was bought by the company
Hydrobudowa Wloclawec a civil engineering company and in 2009 it was
given to the Warsaw city authorities. Now in an almost derelict state,
the 50 metre long ship has been allocated to Zegluga Wroclawska
(Wroclaw Shipping Company) who are to restore her for about £ 700,000
and operate her on a 15 year lease for tourist and educational cruises
at Warsaw. Work is being undrtaken in the Malbo shipyard at Wroclaw.
Length : 49.88 m - breadth (overall) : 12.21 m
The latest information (late 2015) is that delays with the project have now been overcome and work is planned to progress with the ship expected to return to Warsaw in 2017
The internet's leading source of paddle steamer information and photographs
Erhaltener Raddampfer : Vapeurs à roues à aubes en preservation