paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


PS Scotia
Built in 1880 by H McIntyre and Co at Paisley
Engines : 2 cylinder steeple, by King and Co
Dimensions : 211.2 ft x 21.8 ft
260 Gross Registered Tonnes

Run by Captain Buchanan on the Ardrossan-Arran service connecting with GSWR trains.
Purchased by the GSWR so they could inaugurate their own year-round service to Arran
Reboilered in 1892
Offered for sale in 1893 as new vessels Glen Rosa and Minerva were ordered by the GSWR
A proposed sale to Mr T McLaren of Glasgow for GBP 10500 fell through on account of her poor coal consumption.
Finally disposed of to Edwards, Robertson for service on the Bristol Channel on September 13th 1893 for GBP 5300
Passed to John Gunn, who had taken over the Edwards, Robertson fleet in 1895
Taken over by P and A Campbell in 1899 on the demise of the Gunn company and sold to owners in Naples, Italy
Renamed "Principessa Mafalda"
Mined and sunk in 1914

Return to:
Captain Buchanan
Glasgow and South Western Railway
Edwards and Robertson
John Gunn
P and A Campbell
British Paddle Steamer Index