paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


PS Gairlochy (ex - Ardmore, ex - Sultan)
Built in 1861 by Barclay, Curle and Co
Engines : Steeple, 45 in x 42 in, formerly of PS Wellington of 1853
Dimensions : 166 ft x 16.6 ft. Lengthened to 176 ft in 1865
124 Gross Registered Tonnes

Bought by Captain Alexander Williamson in 1862, and as "Sultan" becoming the first of the so-called "Turkish Fleet"
Sailed mainly from Glasgow to Rothesay and the Kyles of Bute
Reboilered in 1877
Taken over by the Glasgow and South Western Railway in 1891.
By the 1893 season she was in the fleet of Captain John Williamson having been sold for GBP 500 that April
Sailed as "Ardmore" until 1894
Sold on to the McBrayne company and renamed Gairlochy
Sailed on the Caledonian Canal until burnt and sunk at Fort Augustus on December 24th, 1919

Return to:
Captain Alexander Williamson
Glasgow and South Western Railway
Captain John Williamson
David MacBrayne - Western Isles
British Steamer Index