TS Duchess of Montrose  
part of the Clyde Turbine Steamers website from paddlesteamers.info - the internet's leading paddle steamer information and photograph database



Above: Duchess of Montrose in the late 1950s or early 1960s in a commercial postcard : Gordon Stewart's collection
Turbine Steamer - 806 gross tonnes (later revised to 794)
Launched 10th May 1930 at yard of Wm Denny & Bros Ltd, Dumbarton, Scotland
Three direct acting turbines - central high pressure, at side two low pressure turbines with astern facility
Dimensions : 262 ft between perpendiculars (273 ft overall) x 35 ft (overall)

Closely resembled King George V of 1926, with an enclosed promenade deck
The KGV's high pressure turbine experiment (which had led to a fatal accident) was not repeated
The first "one-class" vessel on the Clyde
Achieved mean spead of 20.708 knots on trial on 27th June 1930
Cruised in the lower Firth to Arran, Ayr and as far as Stranraer
In the immediate pre war years extended range to Campbeltown and Inveraray when the CSP took over the routes
Remained on the Clyde during World War II serving Wemyss Bay and Rothesay
Wooden wheelhouse built in 1948, originally with canvas dodgers (replaced by wood in 1951)
New thicker funnels added in 1952
Converted to oil in 1956 and fitted with radar in 1960
Undertook the long cruises, especially to Inveraray in the post-war period
Withdrawn after the 1964 season, her last cruise being on August 30th
Arrived at Albert Harbour for lay-up on August 31st, remaining for over a year awaiting disposal
Left the Clyde on September 19th, 1965 for scrapping at Ghent

Bibliography
Tr.S.S. Duchess of Montrose
Ian McCrorie & R.N.W. Smith
Published in 1975 by the Clyde River Steamer Club, reprinted in 1990 by Waverley Excursions Ltd
A detailed history of this magnificent and much-loved steamer

Return to

Caledonian Steam Packet Company
Clyde Steamers of the 1930s
Clyde Turbine Steamers Main Menu
 


.