TS Duchess of Hamilton  
part of the Clyde Turbine Steamers website from paddlesteamers.info - the internet's leading paddle steamer information and photograph database




Duchess of Hamilton at Campbeltown in 1968 by Ian Stewart


Built in 1932 by Harland & Wolff, Govan, Glasgow.
3 direct-drive steam turbines by Harland & Wolff, Belfast
Dimensions : 262 ft between perpendiculars (273 ft overall) x 35 ft (overall)
801 Gross Registered Tonnes


Almost exact copy of Duchess of Montrose (1930-64), continuing the one-class format
Allocated to the excursion services from Ayr in succession to PS Juno (1898-1932)
Registered as owned by the Caledonian Steam Packet Company and therefore unlimited in her Clyde cruising area
Crosstrees added to the mainmast in 1939
Served as a troop carrier between Stranraer and Larne (Northern Ireland) during World War II
Enclosed wheelhouse added in 1948
Post war she concentrated on cruises from Gourock to Campbeltown and, latterly, Inveraray
Cafeteria opened in the main deck forward lounge in 1955
Converted to oil fuel in 1956 and radar fitted in 1960
Withdrawn after the 1970 season
Sold to the Reo-Stakis hotel orgsanisation for as a night club on the Clyde

The project ran into financial difficulty and was abandoned
The Duchess was dismantled at Troon during 1974

Click here for more photos of Duchess of Hamilton


Duchess of Hamilton at fairlie J Jeffrey s.jpg


TS Duchess of Hamilton has a good complement of passengers as she leaves Fairlie in the early 1960s. She was the regular steamer on the long day trip from Gourock to Campbeltown on the Kintyre peninsula for many years.  Photo by James W Jeffrey.
Return to

Caledonian Steam Packet Company
Clyde Steamers of the 1930s
Clyde Turbine Steamers Main Menu