TS Duchess of Argyll 
part of the Clyde Turbine Steamers website from paddlesteamers.info - the internet's leading paddle steamer information and photograph database



Duchess of argyll Adamson PC.jpg


Duchess of Argyll in a photo published as a post card by W Robertson & Co.  Kindly supplied by Michael Brown from his collection
Built in 1906 by Wm Denny and Bros at Dumbarton
Engines : 3 direct drive steam turbines by Denny and Co
Dimensions : 250 ft x 30.1 ft
593 Gross Registered tonnes

CSP’s first turbine steamer, built for the Ardrossan to Arran run, replacing Duchess of Hamilton
Achieved a speed of 21.65 knots on trial, with speed being vital on the intended service
Out of service in 1908 resulting from the CSP/GSWR co-operation pact
For the 1910 season her open main deck forward was plated and port holes cut
Plating forward allowed her to sail on the more exposed services to Stranraer.
Requisitioned as a transport ship
Returned to service in the 1919 season, making the Kyles of Bute and Arran run her own.
Moved to the long cruises to Inveraray and Campbeltown in 1936
Remained in service on the upper Firth during World War II, but did do some Admiralty tendering work.
Returned to the Kyles of Bute run after the war until sold in February 1952.
Used by the Admiralty for experimental work at Portland until scrapped at Newhaven in 1970

Return to:
Caledonian Steam Packet Co
Clyde Turbine Steamers Main Menu