TS King George V  
part of the Clyde Turbine Steamers website from paddlesteamers.info 

KGV Oban KW.jpg
King George V at Oban in 1973. Photo by kind courtesy of Kenny Whyte
Launched on April 29th 1926 by William Denny and Bros at Dumbarton
Engines : 7 turbines by Parsons Marine Engineering Ltd
Dimensions : 260.6 ft x 32.1 ft
789 Gross Registered Tons

Set the standard for spacious accommodation with an enclosed promenade deck
Employed an advanced arrangement of turbines and two very high pressure boilers.
Trouble with the boilers led to replacement in 1929 and again in 1935
In 1935 one turbine was removed to simplify the power system
Two new, slightly broader funnels were also fitted in 1935
Generally used on the Inveraray service but also visited Campbeltown
Passed to MacBrayne ownership in October 1935 on the dissolution of Turbine Steamers Ltd
Employed on cruises from Oban, especially to Iona
Requisitioned in World War II as a troop transport, initially based in Southampton
In 1940 was involved in evacuating troops from Rotterdam, Ostend, Calais, Boulogne and famously, Dunkirk, landing 4300 men at Dover
Returned to the Clyde in 1941 for tendering duties, with one famous passenger being Sir Winston Churchill
Made occasional return visits to the Clyde, including the summer Ardrishaig mail service in 1946 and on charter to the CSP in early 1971.
Displaced by MV Columba in 1974 and withdrawn from service
After withdrawal, languished as attempts at re-use as a restaurant in South Wales foundered and she was laid up in a dry dock in Cardiff.
In 1981 as there was a real hope of preservation as a pub at London to replace PS Caledonia when she was bought by Bass-Charrington
King George V was burnt out at Cardiff docks on August 26th of that year and her remains later towed out into the tidal Severn to disintegrate

In 1973 King George V added the Caledonian lion rampant to her red MacBraynes funnels - for a last campaign ..... 

Many thanks to Kenny Whyte for allowing his collection to be shown 

Above: With Caledonian-MacBrayne - and now seeing more time in "Caledonian" waters ...... here at Gourock


Above : At "Caledonian" headquarters, Gourock, with the Clyde's passenger cruiser Maid of Cumbrae, in her second season as a makeshift car ferry

Above : Back at "MacBraynes" headquarters ........ Oban

Above : Full decks as King George V loads at Gourock

Above : Winter lay-up at Greenock alongside car ferry Bute


Above : At Wemyss Bay, the mainland railhead for car-ferry services to Rothesay on Bute


Above : Home port for most of her life - Oban

Above : Winter lay-up at Greenock

Leaving Scotland for the last time .......
King George V : at Cardiff


Above : King George V was moved out of the dry dock in which she was lying when the fire broke out  - and eventually scrapped. Her hull was floated out on to tidal sands off Cardiff and she disintegrated at the hands of tide and time
Below : KGV at Cardiff courtesy of Stuart Cameron

Return to
Turbine Steamers Ltd
David MacBrayne - Clyde
David MacBrayne - Western Isles

Clyde Steamers of the 1930s
Clyde Turbine Steamers Main Menu