Welcome to the internet's leading source of Queen Mary information and photographs
part of the Clyde Turbine Steamers website from paddlesteamers.info - the internet's leading paddle steamer information and photograph database


TEXT OF OFFER FOR SALE WITH MARITIME AGENTS CAPITAL BOATS : 2009


Capital Boats is pleased to offer for sale this grand Old Lady.

The 'Queen Mary' is sold 'as is - where is' or 'sold as seen'. She must vacate the current mooring soon so a new home must be found.

Every assistance will be provided in removing Queen Mary from her current mooring.

The vessel will need 2 or 3 small tugs to assist in delivery to the Thames flood barrier. (Buyers expense). From there she will require a sea-going tug to tow her to her new home. The vessel will need to be prepared for the river transit and any coastal and / or sea passage with the relevant certification issued.

Brief History:
The twin funnel Clyde steamer TS Queen Mary was built at the William Denny shipyard at Dumbarton for Williamson-Buchanan. The 871 gross tons steamer was powered by three direct drive steam turbines, and carried 2086 passengers making her the largest (though not the longest) excursion turbine on the River Clyde.

In 1935 the vessel relinquished her name for the famous Cunard liner to be launched by Her Majesty Queen Mary and became TS Queen Mary II.

In 1948 nationalisation of the railways brought the steamers under the Caledonian Steam Packet Company (CSP). In 1956-1957 the TS Queen Mary II was changed from coal to oil burning, the two funnels were replaced by a single well proportioned funnel and a new mainmast was added so that she now had two masts to meet changed regulations for ship's lights, with her tonnage increasing to 1014.

In 1973 the paddle steamer PS Waverley had its routes taken over by the Queen Mary (which lost the "II" as the Cunard liner had now been retired).

The TS Queen Mary was retired 27 September 1977. She was then laid up.

At some time in the 1980s the ship was bought by Bass Leisure Retail and taken south to London to become a floating pub/restaurant. She underwent a 2.5m refurbishment in 1997 and is currently moored at Victoria Embankment.

Facilities included two bars / lounges and two function rooms. The top deck of the ship is used as an open air seating area with bar facilities.

The full history of the Queen Mary can seen on the following website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TS_Queen_Mary


Additionally, there is a dedicated Queen Mary website:

http://www.queenmary.co.uk/qm_home.html

During the refit, the vessel was totally decommissioned with the steam turbines removed.

The following reports are available:
14 page survey report
Ultrasonic hull thickness measurement report
Favourable 40 asbestos report confirming that there is NO asbestos anywhere on board.

Further details on request.

More details & photos coming soon.

Asking: 154,950.

Call Richard Lane @ Capital Boats on +44 (0)7714 096572 to arrange a viewing.


TEXT OF OFFER FOR RE-SALE IN 2011 WITH MARITIME AGENTS CAPITAL BOATS : 2011


Capital Boats is pleased to offer for sale this grand Old Lady - to be sold by Public Auction on Wednesday 24th August 2011 between 0900 BST & 1700 BST.

www.capitalmarineauctions.com


The guide price is 150,000 to 200,000. (GBP). The highest bidder will also incur a 2% buyers fee, plus VAT (20% of the buyers fee, not purchase price).

The 'Queen Mary' will be sold 'as seen'. The current mooring location is Tilbury Docks, east of London, UK.
 

Viewings are being arranged for Monday 22nd August. A visitors list has to be presented to the Port Security so viewings are strictly by appointment only. Please call our office on +44 (0)1983 866922 if you wish to be added to the visitors list.

THE IMAGES ON THIS ADVERT WERE TAKEN IN 2009. MORE RECENT EXTERNAL IMAGES CAN BE FOUND HERE:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43808281@N00/5719458025/in/set-72157626719982924

http://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/4587560552/in/set-72157624007520670

More recent, up to date images will be added to this advert prior to the auction taking place.



Brief History:
The twin funnel Clyde steamer *TS Queen Mary was built at the William Denny shipyard at Dumbarton for Williamson-Buchanan. The 871 gross tons steamer was powered by three direct drive steam turbines, and carried 2086 passengers making her the largest (though not the longest) excursion turbine on the River Clyde.
 

*Turbine Steamer - Most vessels have a prefix of some description; SV, MV, MT, etc. although not actually part of the official / registered name)

In 1935 the vessel relinquished her name for the famous Cunard liner to be launched by Her Majesty Queen Mary and became TS Queen Mary II.

In 1948 nationalisation of the railways brought the steamers under the Caledonian Steam Packet Company (CSP). In 1956-1957 the TS Queen Mary II was changed from coal to oil burning, the two funnels were replaced by a single well proportioned funnel and a new mainmast was added so that she now had two masts to meet changed regulations for ship's lights, with her tonnage increasing to 1014.

In 1973 the paddle steamer PS Waverley had its routes taken over by the Queen Mary (which lost the "II" as the Cunard liner has been taken out of service).

The TS Queen Mary was retired 27 September 1977. She was then laid up.

At some time in the 1980s the ship was bought by Bass Leisure Retail and taken south to London to become a floating pub/restaurant. She underwent a 2.5m refurbishment in 1997 and was moored at Victoria Embankment.
 

Facilities included two bars / lounges and two function rooms, each with a bar. The top deck of the ship and fore & aft deck areas were used as an open air seating area with bar facilities.

The full history of the Queen Mary can seen on the following website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TS_Queen_Mary

Additionally, there is a very informative website:

http://turbinesteamers.paddlesteamers.megabyet.net/QueenMary.htm

During the refit, the vessel was totally decommissioned with the steam turbines removed.

In 2009 the vessel was purchased by 3 French businessmen with the intention of delivering to La Rochelle in France.

The new owners funded the preparation and delivery of the Queen Mary to Tilbury Docks, where she now lies.

The following reports are available:
Survey report
 
Ultrasonic hull thickness measurement report
Favourable 40 asbestos report confirming that there is NO asbestos anywhere on board.

The Queen Mary has been partly prepared for a delivery voyage. This preparation included:
Extra ballast
Boarding up windows and other openings
25kW 3-phase automatic generator
Bilge Hi-level flooding alarms
Stability calculations (inclining experiment)
Stability booklet
Insurance quotes
MCA (UK Maritime Authority) attendance
Towage quotes

In September 2010, preparations were almost complete with the exception of an additional salvage pump and a re-visit by the MCA for testing the bilge / salvage pumps. However, as this was almost 1 year ago, there is no guarantee that these items are the only items outstanding for MCA approval for a tow or that the condition of the vessel has not deteriorated.
It is considered likely that a weather restriction of F3 - F4 would be in place for any tow.

The current moorings may be available by separate negotiation on a temporary basis to allow for delivery preparations.
 

Continued assistance can be provided with moorings, preparation for delivery, tug quotes, towage contracts, insurance, etc. by Capital Marine Services who have been acting on behalf of current owners since 2009. Further details available on request.
 
Specifications
 
Vessel condition:Fair - due a drydock / refit
Vessel type:Private function / restaurant / floating hotel
Builder:William Denny
Model:Passenger Excursion Steamer
Year constructed:1933
Year refitted:1997
Length over all:252'
Beam:35'
Maximum draft:7' 6"
Hull material:Steel


Many thanks to Richard Lane of Capital Boats

Return to : Queen Mary Menu