paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


PS Waverley (1885)


PS Waverley passes a busy Ilfracombe pier in the mid 1890s in a photo believed to have been taken by Alexander Hutson and kindly supplied by Jeremy Hutson
Built in 1885 by H McIntyre and Co at Paisley
Engines : Simple diagonal
Dimensions : 205 ft x 21.2 ft
258 Gross Registered Tonnes

Purchased by Captain Bob Campbell in 1885 for his regular Kilmun trade, Waverley was found to be too large
Immediately put on to the Ayr station for cruising.
Chartered by a group of Bristol businessmen for service on the Bristol Channel in 1887
Stationed permanently at Bristol from 1888 after Captains Peter and Alec Campbell sold their business to the CSP
Went to Southampton on charter in 1889 for the Naval Review, offering cruises around the British and visiting German fleets
Reboilered in 1901
Saloon windows replaced by ports in 1911, as became standard practice for Campbell ships on the more exposed Channel.
Spent 1911 on the south coast based at Brighton
Not requisitioned for the Admiralty until the end of May 1917, when she was on the wartime Cardiff - Weston ferry service
Eventually went to the Thames for minesweeping duties as HMS Way
On her release from the navy in May 1919, survey results suggested she was not worth requisitioning
Scrapped in 1921

Return to:
Captain Robert Campbell
P and A Campbell
P and A Campbell - Sussex Operations
British Paddle Steamer Index