paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


P.S. Clacton Belle

Clacton Belle PC MB.jpg

Clacton Belle in a post card sent from Margate on 14th August 1906.  Many thanks to Michael Brown from whose collection this image comes


Launched on February 26th 1890 by Wm Denny & Bros at Dumbarton
Engines : Compound diagonal, 28 and 50 in x 60 in
Dimensions : 246 ft x 35.5 ft
458 Gross registered Tonnes

Built for the London, Woolwich and Clacton-on-Sea Steamboat Co entering service from London to Clacton in May 1890
Requisitioned for war service in August 1915, converted to being a minesweeper and based at Sheerness
Spent most of 1916 and 1917 based at Harwich before being posted to Liverpool
Released from Admiralty duty in November 1919, she became the posession of her pre war owners' liquidators
In 1921, the company's assets had passed to Mr Kingsman and Clacton Belle was re-activated for service
Purchased by the PSM Syndicate in 1922
Put up for auction with her fleetmates in early 1925 and she became owned by the East Anglian Steamship Co
Scrapped at Grays in 1929

Return to:
Belle Steamers
Mr E Kingsman
PSM Syndicate
British Paddle Steamer Index