paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading website for
Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers
Dundalk & Newry Steam Packet Co (1871-1926)
company was formed in 1871 by the merger of the Dundalk Steam
Packet Co, established in 1838, and the Newry Steam Packet Company,
surviving independently until taken over by British & Irish, part
of the Coast Lines conglomerate.
The companies ran services to Liverpool from their respective bases.
Earl of Erne was the last paddle steamer on the
Anglo-Irish run and survived as a screw vessel until wrecked in the
Mediterranean in 1926
Early Dundalk vessels
(1838-1839, built in 1827 by Wood & Barclay of Port Glasgow for a
Belfast owner. 120 ft. Moved to Port Philip Bay, Australia and
later Hong Kong)
(1837-1852, built in 1829 by J Wood of Port Glasgow originally for
Glasgow & Liverpool SN Co (Burns). 130.9 ft (later 148.6) : 286
Finn MacCoull (1838-1845,
built by C Wood of Dumbarton. 141 ft : 244 GRT. Sold. Lost in 1848 on
Tuskar Rock near Rosslare on a Clyde to Galway run )
(1844-1858, built by Robert Napier of Govan, 171.3 ft : 601 GRT.
Engines : Side lever. Sold. Re-sold for US Civil War blockade running
but was lost in action in 1864)
Dundalk vessels operated by the merged company
Pride of Erin (1847-1877, built by Robert Napier & Sons of Govan, 194.8 ft : 762 GRT).
Earl of Erne
(1855-1918, built by Robert Napier & Sons of Govan, 219.4 ft.
Engines : 2cyl simple, re-engined in 1888. Sold to Greece in 1918 and
re-engined with diesels).
(1862-1896, built by J&G Thomson of Govan, 234 ft : 718 GRT.
Engines oscillating 65 and 65 x 66 in (63.5 and 63.5 in x 66 in