paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


MPV Geneve (1896)

Operating Area : Lake Geneva, Switzerland
Geneve.jpg
MPV Geneve at her Geneva berth in 2007.  In the background, PS Savoie leaves Jardin Anglais pier
Built 1896 by Sulzer Brothers at Winterthur, Switzerland
Engines: Compound Diagonal until 1932 - Diesel electric from 1934

Entered service in 1896
Became the first vessel in Europe converted to diesel-electric drive in 1934
Withdrawn in 1973 and remains in static use at Geneva
Retains her ability to move under her own power when required

Her owners the Association Le Bateau Geneve, are a charitable organisation supported both by private and public donations providing a day centre for young people. As well as providing meals for those who might normally not be able to feed themselves, social and educational events are held to assist the youngsters in regaining confidence with the aim of full reintegration into society. Beneficiaries of the services are also expected to contribute to the provision of the services - and to the physical conservation of the vessel. Their website is at : http://www.bateaugeneve.ch

Click here to take a tour of Geneve in 2016 : Photos by kind courtesy of Olivier Bachmann

Return to:


CGN
Preserved Steamer Guide
Lake Geneva History