paddlesteamers.info  :  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers


Germany : Pomerania



Local services from Stettin to coastal resorts and later cross-Baltic ferry service from Sassnitz to Trelleborg in Sweden
J F Braunlich

The major port on the German Baltic coast in Pomerania was Stettin (now Szczecin in Poland). The dominant shipping company was J F Braunlich, established in 1852, and, with the paddle steamer Dievenow built locally in a newly-established yard, offering a service between Stettin, set slightly inland on the River Oder and Swinemuende (now Swinoujscie in Poland) on the Baltic coast.

The company expanded quickly with routes to other settlements in the area on Usedom and Wollin and added to their fleet. However, it was not until 1890 when a new company started by Hamburg-based shipping entrepreneur entered the market with his two steamers Freia and Cuxhaven, which led quicky to the establishment of a new company, Ballin & Braunlich. The new company as short-lived after Cuxhaven struck a reef off Zinnowitz in 1891 with the loss of three lives. Ballin pulled out in favour of his Hamburg interests while the vessel Freia remained at Stettin.
 
In 1896 the Braunlich operation became the Stettiner Dampfschiffs-Gesellschaft JF Braeunlich GmbH
  and the first project was to establish a mail service from Sassnitz to Trelleborg in Sweden in association with Swedish interests. The large paddle steamer Prinses Marie was bought second-hand in 1898 and, as Germania, used on the Trelleborg service in advance of the purchase of new screw steamers which led to her disposal and scrapping in 1902. Built in 1877, she was previously on the Netherlands to the UK (Vlissingen to Sheerness) ferry service for Stoomvaart Maatshappij Zealand and had been on charter to Albert Ballin since 1896. Her sister ship Prinses Elisabeth was also purchased for the Trelleborg route by Braunlich's Swedish partners.  Paddle Steamer Freia was also used as reserve ship on the Trelleborg service in 1898

The Braunlich company thus became a major shipping concern and invested heavily in new large screw steamers beginning with the Odin in 1902 and three years later, Hertha. The venerable Freia did return from wartime duties as a  tender and maintained its traditional route from Stettin to Swinemunde. Rugen and Bornholm. She was withdrawn and scrapped in the Netherlands in 1929.


J F Braunlich


Dievenow (1852) The first iron ship built in Prussia
Princess Royal Victoria (1857)
Misdroy (1859-1872)  Sold to local Stettin interests (W Kunstmann). Sailed on route to Zinnowitz. Scrapped in 1911

Nymph (1863)
Najade (1864)
Nixe (1864)

Wolliner Greif (1865-1869)
Built by Moeller & Holberg at Grabow, Stettin in 1865
Length 39.68 m
Sold to Stettin operator FD Manthey. Various changed of ownership. Rebuilt and reengined with compound diagonal in 1901 and renamed Arkona and again in 1915 to Greifswald, serving locally until 1922. Possibly sold to Sweden and wrecked off the Norwegian coast in 1924

Der Kaiser (1876-1900)  ex- Baltischen Lloyd steamer.
(Built in 1865 in Glasgow as Mildred ?)

Germania (1898-1902)
 

ex- Albert Ballin in 1890


Freia ( - 1929)





Germania (ex- Prinses Marie)
Built in 1877 by J Elder & Co at Govan
Length  278.2  ft :  1652 GRT
Engine : 2 cyl  60 and 104 in x 84 in
Stoomvaart Maatshappij Zealand Vlissingen-Sheerness service until 1896
Withdrawn and scrapped in 1902



Return to
Historical Database