paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


La Marguerite

La Marguerite in her early years in North Wales, seen arriving at Llandudno on a post card with a date stamp of 9th August 1906.  The card was one of a series issued by the Pictorial Stationery Company ("Peacock Brand") and was kindly supplied by Antony Edmonds from his collection

Built in 1894 by Fairfield at Govan, Glasgow
Engines : Compound diagonal
Dimensions : 350.2 ft x 40 ft
1554 Gross Registered Tonnes

Considerably larger than any previous vessel on the Thames service, La Marguerite was mostly used on the France / Belgium run
She became an extremely popular vessel, but was expensive to run and never consistently profitable.
Withdrawn after the 1903 season and transfered to the Fairfield-owned Liverpool & North Wales Steamship Co
Served Llandudno and the Menai Bridge from Liverpool, remaining on station until 1925

Return to:
Victoria Steamboat Association
New Palace Steamers
Liverpool & North Wales Steamship Co
British Paddle Steamer Index