paddlesteamers.info  :  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers


Liverpool and North Wales Steamship Company (1891-1962)
Formed in 1891 when New North Wales Steamship Company (est 1890) took over the Liverpool, Llandudno and Welsh Coast Steamboat Co and their paddler Bonnie Princess

St Tudno (1889-1890) was the New North Wales Company's only ship, built in Glasgow by Fairfields who owned the new company and she was a big success, but was sold to Germany.
She was renamed Cobra, the name she had been given on launch for first owners G&J Burns. The vessel replaced by a second St Tudno after only one year in service


The Snowdon Passenger Steamship Company (established in 1892) and its vessel Snowdon was acquired in 1899, to augment their fleet of paddlers Bonnie Princess, St Tudno and St Elvies. In 1904, they purchased  La Marguerite, a favourite on the Thames and cross-channel services to Boulogne and Calais. La Marguerite, regarded as the second largest passenger paddler on British short-sea and coastal service, set a pattern for size and grandeur but was an extremely expensive vessel to run. Her replacement was the large turbine St Tudno (2300 GRT), to which the company added a smaller second turbine (St Seiriol - 1586 GRT). These ships maintained the service until the company went into voluntary liquidation after the 1962 season along with the much smaller motor vessel St Trillo. The turbine steamers quickly went to the breakers. St Trillo found further service with P & A Campbell on the Bristol Channel.



Above : La Marguerite was the largest paddle steamer ever on coastal excursions in the UK although she was initially designed for taking passengers from the Thames across to France and Belgium. Shipbuilders Fairfield Engineering & Shipbuilding of Govan found they had to use her in one of their company-owned shipping lines after her first owners defaulted, so she was allocated to the Liverpool & Northwestern Steamship Company. She ran for twenty years out of Liverpool to Landudno and piers in the Menai Straits. She was probably too large and definitely too expensive but offered a great degree of luxury on this popular tourist route.   


Acquired on establishment from company taken over

Bonnie Princess
(1891-1889, sold to Dutch owners)

New Build (by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering, owners of the company)

St Tudno (1891-1912)
St Elvies
 (1896-1931)

Acquired when a company was taken over

Snowdon (1899-1931)

Allocated by Fairfield after ship was returned to builders by liquidated owners

La Marguerite (1904-1925)

Second-hand purchases

St Elian (1907-1915)
St Trillo
(1909-1921)

For postacard images of the vessels - please see Ian Boyle's Simplon Postcasrds website : http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/LNWSS.html


Other vessels                             (For details of the Turbine Steamers - TS - Go to the sister website : Clyde Turbine Steamers
TS St Seiriol - never sailed for company - lost in 1918
SS St Elian (1922-1927)
TS St Tudno (1926-1962)
TS St Seiriol (1931-1962)
MV St Silio / St Trillo (1936-1962)

Bibliography


The Liverpool and North Wales Steamship Company
By John Shepherd
Published in 2006 by Ships in Focus Publications, 18 Franklands, Longton, Preston, Lancashire, PR4 5PD
ISBN: 1 901703 67 3
Illustrated review of the shipping company and its vessels


Return to:
North Wales and Lancashire
Clyde Turbine Steamers