paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of
Paddle Steamers past and present
Built in 1876 by
Richardson, Duck & Co at Stockton-on-Tees.
Engines : Compound diagonal by T Richardson & Sons
Dimensions : 160 ft x 20 ft
203 Gross Registered Tonnes
Built for John Kidd’s excursion services on the
Firth of Forth.
Kidd established the Galloway Steam Packet Company to develop these
Moved south in 1881 to the Bournemouth & South Coast Steam
The Bournemouth company was bought after the 1908 season by the
Southampton & Isle of Wight company.
Lord Elgin was the one remaining steamer in this fleet.
Spent two seasons at Bournemouth on local excursion and Swanage ferry
Converted to cargo carrying, remaining in service until 1955.
Sailed under her own steam to local scrapyard of Pollock, Brown &
Co on May 13th, 1955
Galloway Steam Packet Company
Bournemouth & South
Coast Steam Packets Ltd
Southampton, Isle of Wight and South
of England Royal Mail Steam Packet Company
British Paddle Steamer