paddlesteamers.info  :  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers


Lough Foyle
Moville Steamship Company
Services were operated between Derry and Moville on the County Donegal bank of the Lough.  Moville had become a staging post for emigration with ships destined for the USA and Canada calling on their way from Glasgow. This provided healthy business for the paddle steamers based at Derry and for the ocean-going shipping lines' tenders which were generally paddle steamers. The ships did not tie up at Moville. The Moville Steamship Company was the last in a line of companies operating locally on the Lough.
The company went into liquidation in 1927


Duchess of York  (1896-1898)

Earl of Dunraven  (1898-1917)

Cynthia 
(1907-1927)

Lady Clare 
(1906-1927)


Cragbue  (1919-1927)
Built in 1885 by JT Eltringham at SouthShields
122.5 ft : 174 GRT
Engine : 41 x 60 in by JP Rennoldson of South Shields
Built as Flying Fox for work on the Clyde for tug work for the Clyde Shipping Company
Sailed for the Moville Steamship Company from 1919 to 1927 and renamed Cragbue
In 1927 in service for the Anchor Line
Broken up in 1929



Tug tenders also operated services on the Lough

Steel & McCaskill, later Steel & Bennie  (Glasgow tug and coaster operators)

Lough Foyle (1871) built in 1853 by J Barr of Glasgow for Loch long & Loch Goil Steamboat Co. 163.9 ft : 124 GRT. Engine Steeple. Later Lochness of David MacBrayne
Seagull
(1877-1890, built by J Softley and Sons of South Shields.  121 ft : 107 GRT  Engine 35.5 x 54 in by Hepple & Co, S Shields)
Albatross  (1878-1911, built by J Softley and Sons of South Shields.  141 ft : 139 GRT  Engine 40.25 x 54 in by Hepple & Co, S Shields)





Return to
Historical Database