paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of
Paddle Steamers past and present
Pride of Devon (ex -Essex Queen, ex -Walton
Launched on April 5th
1897 by Wm Denny and Bros at Dumbarton
Engines : Triple expansion diagonal, 20.5, 30 and 43 in x 60 in
Dimensions : 230 ft x 26 ft
465 Gross Registered Tons
Entered service in June 1897 to allow the Belle
Steamers’ services to be extended northwards to Great Yarmouth.
Ran from Yarmouth to connect with the London steamer service at
Chartered for cruising out of Southampton for the Spithead Naval
Review in 1902.
Requisitioned by the Admiralty in December 1915
After serving as a minesweper, latterly on the Tyne, she became a
hospital vessel in 1919.
Sent to the White Sea and River Dvina in north Russia for transport
Released from military service in May 1920 into the hands of the
Coast Development Corporation’s liquidators.
Back in service in August running as before from Yarmouth under
charter to Mr Kingsman.
Returned in 1921 in the ownership of Mr Kingsman
Sold to the PSM Syndicate in 1922.
Sold in December 1925 to the New Medway Steam Packet Co. and renamed
PS Essex Queen.
Operated out of Chatham and Sheerness, serving Southend and Margate
in the 1926 season.
Helped the Medway company expand their range and was regularly at
Great Yarmouth in 1927.
Converted to oil fuel during the winter of 1930-1931
Based back at Great Yarmouth in 1937 and on various routes in 1938
Became a hospital ship moored on the Thames until 1943 and was
subsequently laid up.
Sold in 1945 for use in south Devon to the South Western Steam
Renamed PS Pride of Devon, offered cruises from Torquay from
Due to her poor condition, a passenger certificate was refused for
the 1949 season.
Laid up at Southampton, she was sold in 1951 to breakers at
Mr E Kingsman
New Medway Steam Packet Co
South Western Steam Navigation Co
British Paddle Steamer