paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading website for
Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers
At 298 kilometres
long. the River Trent is the third longest river in the United Kingdom,
flowing from Staffordshire to the confluence with the River Ouse,
forming the Humber, a major estuary leading to the North Sea. The river
flows through major conurbations such as Stoke-on-Trent and Nottingham
and historically has been navigable for most of its course.
to the Humber, the river flows through lightly populated areas with the
small Lincolnshire town of Gainsborough being the major traffic source.
Paddle steamers were quick to establish themselves on the Trent
alongside more tradtional sailing vessels. Gainsborough shipowner Henry
Smith built the small paddler Maria
in 1815 to assist in towing his vessels along the river and carrying
goods. Smith continued to build vessels and the Gainsborough
United Steam Packet Company its main customer for paddle steamers.
Excursions were offered with long day trips to Hull, Graimsby and
Gainsborough United Steam Packet Company
Albion (1816) : 72.8 ft
Pelham (1828-1860) : 77.8 ft
Lindsay (1836-xxxx) : 89.8 ft
Pelham (1837-xxxx) : 97 ft
Columbine (1843-1880) : 115.6 ft : 84 GRT. Engine by J Penn of London. Subsequently registered at Grimsby until 1906
Harlequin (1848-xxxx) : 116.9 ft : 103 GRT.
Atalanta (1851-1880) : 121 ft : 101 GRT. Engine by J Penn of London. Subsequently registered at Grimsby until 1927
Isle of Axholme (1860-1880) : 130 ft : 91 GRT. Subsequently registered at Grimsby. At Hull from 1915 until 1920
Scarborough (1866-1880) : 149.8 ft : 142 GRT. Engine Oscillating by J Penn of London. Subsequently registered at Grimsby. Later at Hull and Newcastle until scrapped in 1922
Simpson, Bell & Co. Gainsborough
New British Queen (1818-1822) 73.4 ft. Built by William Wray at Burton-upon-Stather
Flower, Bell & Co. Gainsborough
Nottingham (1821-1827) Built by William Wray at Burton-upon-Stather. Sold. Survived until 1867, latterly at Gloucester
H Curtis. Gainsborough
Brighton (1857-1871) later in use at London until 1876