:  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers

River Shannon
Estuary Services : Limerick to Kilrush

Built in 1866 by TB Seath & Co at Rutherglen
242 GRT
Built for RW Preston of Liverpool for Liverpool and North Wales service
Chartered by the Mayor of Limerick in the summer of 1867
Sold in 1868 for use in Turkey

Built in 1865 by Thomas Wingate & Co at Glasgow as Largs for the Wemyss Bay Steamboat Company's Clyde service
161.4 ft : 153 GRT
Engines : 2 cyl diagonal 36 and 36 in x 36 in
Sold to Gillies & Campbell in 1869 and Alexander Campbell in 1874
Bought by the Waterford Steam Ship Co in 1877 and allocated to service on the Shannon as Mermaid
Withdrawn in 1903

Shannon (1892-1912)
Built in 1892 by McIlwaine & McColl at Belfast
160 ft : 257 GRT
Engines : Oscillating 21.5 and 45 in x 39 in
Built for the Waterford Steam Ship Co
Sold to the Limerick Steamship Co in 1912
Scrapped in 1919

The Mermaid (1922-1923)


Flying Huntsman
Built in 1881 by J T Eltringham of South Shields for the Clyde Shipping Co of Glasgow
122.2 ft : 184 GRT
Engine : 1 cyl  41 x 60 in by JP Rennoldson. Twin funneled
From 1885 with the Limerick Towing Co
From 1891-1907 with the Waterford Steam Ship Co at Limerick
Returned to the Limerick Towing Co in 1907 and Limerick Steamship Co in 1910
Scrapped in 1912 at Boulogne

River Services : Athlone and Lough Derg

Inaugural paddle steamers for inland services in Ireland arrived at Athlone via the Royal Canal Way from Dublin

Mountaineer (1826) Shannon Steam Navigation Co.
Marquess Wellesley  built by Horseley Ironwork (Staffs) for John Grantham and assembled on the Mersey. Twin hulled with central paddle wheel

The Irish Inland Steam Navigation Co (established in 1829 and owned by Charles Wye Williams, the owner of the City of Dublin SP Co) assumed control of the two steamers above and began a significant expansion of services. The route was from Athlone to Shannon. The company ceased trading by 1862

Lady Lansdowne (1834-1865) Built by W&J Laird at Birkenhead. Assembled at Killaloe. 148 GRT. Sank in Lough Derg
Lady Betty Balfour
Lady Burgoyne


Built in 1856 by TB Seath at Glasgow for the builder's ferry from Glasgow Green to new premises at Rutherglen. 113.3 ft : 54 GRT.  
Sailed to Limerick. Cut in half and rejoined at Athlone. From 1857 with the Midland Great Western Railway and 1860 the Great Southern & Western Railway
Operated between Athlone and Killaloe until 1861. Scrapped in 1863

Duchess of Argyle
Built in 1847 by Denny Bros at Dumbarton as Jenny Lind for John Napier's Glasgow-Gareloch service
Renamed Duchess of Argyle in 1856
Scrapped in 1863

Return to
Historical Database