paddlesteamers.info  :  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers


South Eastern Railway  (1854-1899)
In 1854, the South Eastern Railway took over the South Eastern & Continental Steam Packet Company to run cross-channel services on their own account, with ships :

Built by Ditchburn & Mare at London with engines by Maudsley, Sons & Field

Princess Mary (1844-1874)
Princess Maud (1844-1886)
Queen of the Belgians (1845-1881)
Queen of the French (1845-1863)

Built by W&J Laird at Birkenhead with side-lever engines by G Forrester & Co.

Prince Ernest (1846-1886)
Princesse Clementine (1847-1884)
Princess Helena (1847-1881)
Lord Warden (1847-1881) 

New Ships

Victoria (1861-1895)  Built by Samuda Bros at Poplar. 208.5 ft : 374 GRT. Engine : Oscillating 58 and 58 in x 54 in. by J Penn & Sons.  
Albert Edward (1862-1893)  
Built by Samuda Bros at Poplar. 205.3 ft : 371 GRT. Engine : Oscillating 52 and 52 in x 54 in by J Penn & Sons. Wrecked off French coast
Eugenie (1862-1863)  Built by M Samuelson at Hull. 208.2 ft : 382 GRT. Engine : Oscillating 58 and 58 in x 54 in.  Sold for Blockade running. Later Hilda of the General SN Co
Alexandra (1864-1889)  Built by Samuda Bros at Poplar. 211.8 ft : 360 GRT. Engines : Oscillating 58 and 58 in x 53 in. Sold to Calcutta owners but scrapped in 1890
Napoleon III (1865-1890)  Built by Samuda Bros at Poplar. 192.6 ft : 346 GRT : Engines : Oscillating : 52 1/2 and 52 1/2 in x 48 in by J Penn & Sons.

* Albert Victor (1880) Built by Samuda Bros at Poplar. 250 ft : 814 GRT. Engines : Oscillating 72 and 72 in x 60 in. by J Penn & Sons
* Louise Dagmar (1880) Built by Samuda Bros at Poplar. 250 ft : 816 GRT. Engines : Oscillating 72 and 72 in x 60 in. by J Penn & Sons

Duchess of Edinburgh (1880-1883) Built by J&G Thomson at Clydebank. Engines : Oscillating 46 and 88 in x 72 in. Sold to Barrow SN Co  as Manx Queen and lengthened

* Mary Beatrice (1882)  
Built by Samuda Bros at Poplar. 255 ft : 817 GRT. Engines : Oscillating 72 and 72 in x 60 in. by J Penn & Sons
* Duchess of York (1895) Built by R&H Green at Blackwall. 270 ft : 996 GRT. Engines : 3 cyl Compound Diagonal 48, 68 and 68 in x 72 in. by J Penn & Sons
* Princess of Wales (1898) Built by Laird Bros at Birkenhead. 270 ft : 1009 GRT. Engines : 3 cyl Compound Diagonal 47, 66 and 66 in x 72 in by builders

* ordered but not delivered before amalgamation : Mabel Grace


The South Eastern & Chatham Railway was established in 1889 as a joint operating operation for two railway companies which had competed directly for business between London, Kent and the channel ports :
- South Eastern Railway
- London, Chatham & Dover Railway
In 1923, the two companies, which had remained legally independent, were amalagmated into the newly establised Southern Railway and their steamer fleets providing services to Boulogne, Calais and Ostend were amalgamated and much of their older older tonnage disposed of. Their paddle steamers had all been disposed of by the end of the 1911 season

Vessels above marked   *  were taken over by the new joint company



Return to
Historical Database