paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of
Paddle Steamers past and present
Thames Queen (ex - Queen of Southend, ex -Yarmouth
Launched on April 7th,
1898 by Wm Denny & Bros at Dumbarton
Engines : Triple Expansion diagonal, 20.5, 30 and 43 in x 60 in
Dimensions : 240 ft x 28 ft
522 Gross Registered Tonnes
Built for the Coast Development Company, being
placed on their Great Yarmouth service.
Requisitioned for Admiralty service in August 1915 and converted for
Assigned to the flotilla based at Sheerness.
Released in 1920 into the hands of Coast Development Corporationís
Ownership passed to Mr Kingsman, then the PSM Syndicate
Sold in 1929 to the New Medway Steam Packet Co and renamed PS Queen
Ran primarily on the Chatham-Sothend-Clacton-Walton-Felixstowe
Converted to oil fuel during the winter of 1930-1931.
Renamed PS Thames Queen when relegated to running London Dock
sightseeing cruises from Tower Pier in 1938.
Pressed into the evacuation of civilians from London in the early
days of World War II
Converted for use as a minesweeper and assigned to Dover.
Made one crossing to Dunkirk during the early stages of the
Reassigned to a flotilla based at South Shields
Re-equipped as an anti-aircraft vessel in 1942, based on the Thames
estuary and Essex coast.
Finished the war on the South coast as an accommodation vessel
Laid up at Southampton after release by the Admiralty, then sold for
scrapping at Dover in 1948.
Mr E Kingsman
New Medway Steam Packet Co
British Paddle Steamer