InTramCities with Gordon Stewart


Le Mans (France) : 22nd August, 2019
Le Mans operates a two-line tramway, first opened in November 2007. There was originally a shared central section between Universite and Saint-Martin but with the opening of a new branch to Bellevue on August 30th, 2014, the joint section ran only between Prefecture and Saint-Martin.  Originally served by 23 Alstom Citadis trams, the fleet was expanded to 34 following the opening of the Bellevue branch.


                           
Above : The route from the University reaches the city centre via the long and straight Rue Gambetta, crossing the river Sarthe and rising steeply to Place de la Republique. Tram 1018 is named "Trouve Chauvel" after Ariste Jacques Trouve-Chaval, a 19th century businessman and politician in the city. Most trams are named after communes in the Le Mans metropolitan area.  

Details to follow


Go to photos























Go to photos

Return to Series List