paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present
Built : Original vessel built in 1908 by J.A. Maffei of Munich (and substantially rebuilt in new
size and form in 2006)
Dimensions : 39.8 x 10.15 m
Machinery : Compound Diagonal - Replaced by Diesel-hydraulic equipment 1974/75 - new Deutz diesel-hydraulic unit fitted in 2006.
Her original steam engine (and one paddle wheel removed in 2005) remains with a museum organisation
Diessen failed to obtain her passenger certificate after the 2005 season,
but rather than scrap her, the decision was taken to rebuild her.
After the rebuild she emerged as in effect a new ship incorporating some parts from the old "Diessen"
Refit included complete replating up to the water line (some plates were found to be only 1 mm thick), a new wooden deck and new engines.
Ship was moved to the Lux Werft at Bonn on the Rhein (including an overland journey each way) for the reconstruction of the hull below the water line
Studies concluded that on technical and cost grounds, it was not feasible to use her old steam engines
Length and breadth of the vessel was extended slightly to meet new stability and floodability standards and to allow disabled access to more facilities.
New deckhouses give the ship a new profile : she is now a so-called "Half-saloon" steamer
Many internal fittings were retained in the new ship and also many items of "traditional" appearance removed and put into store in 1975 have been incorporated
Reentered service on July 3rd 2006
Diessen at Herrsching pier in 2003 before reconstruction commenced
See more photos Photos courtesy of Andreas Heene