paddlesteamers.info : The Internet's leading database of Paddle Steamers past and present


Historical Database
Germany
Ammersee
The paddle steamer tradition contnues on this small Bavarian lake with Diessen, a 39.8 m long paddler built in 1908 and now running with diesel-hydraulic propulsion

The era of regular passenger services on the lake began in 1877 with the introduction of the second hand steamer Omnibus by the Dampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft Ammersee. The early steamers were short-lived but the first half of the 20th century saw solid service from the vessels Gisela (Augsburg from 1919), Andechs, Diessen and the 20.9 m long screw steamer Schondorf (1909-1953).

The Andechs and Diessen were introduced as part of a modernisation programme after the goodwill and assets of the steamer service which had since 1885 been owned by the Maffei company had been bought by the Bavarian state in 1906. After the withdrawal of Andechs in 1955, Diessen remained as the sole steamer on the lake, but was converted to diesel power in 1975. In 2002 she was joined by a brand new paddler, albeit with diesel-hydraulic drive, Herrsching.

Preserved Paddle Steamer


Andechs
1907-1955
Builders : Maffei (Munich)
Length : 39.8 m

After withdrawal, the hull has been used by a sailing club at Utting albeit without engines, paddlewheels or funnel


View of Andechs, partially hidden amongst yachts, seen from the passing MPV Herrsching in 2003
Photo by Gordon Stewart (24/8/03)


Return To Statically Preserved Paddle Steamers

Historical Paddle Steamers
Omnibus
1877-1878
Builders: J Muller (Bamberg)
Length : 19 m

Came to the lake after long service on the River Neckar and the Danube-Main canal.
Stability problems rendered her unsuitable, with corrective measures detracting substantially from her speed

Marie
1878-1908
Builders : Escher, Wyss (Zurich, Switzerland)
Length : 26.5 m

Ordered new to replace the unsuitable "Omnibus"
When dispaced from the fleet the hull was used by the Riederau Yacht Club
The engines went to the Transport Museum and in 1995 to the Transport and Technical Museum in Berlin

Go to photos of the engines

Maximilian
1886-1895
Builders : Maffei (Munich)
Length : 33.5 m

Brought second-hand from the nearby Starnbergersee
Gisela later Augsburg
1893-1963
Builders : Maffei (Munich)
Length : 52.5 m

Renamed Augsburg in 1919 following the national policy of removing names with royal connections
Scrapped in 1964

Return to
Historical Database
Ammersee
Preserved Steamer List