:  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers

Historical Database - Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire
A traditional fishing village and remaining a major lobster catching centre, Bridlington became a popular summer holiday resort in the nineteenth century with wide beaches to the south and the impressive chalk-cliff coastline at Flamborough Head immediately to the north. This attracted boat owners and of particular fame was the paddle tug Frenchman which left its home base in the port of Hull to offer sea excursions to these holidaymakers in the tourist season. The ship was particularly successful and was lengthened to cope with demand and she continued to serve the town until the late 1920s.     

Built as COQUET in 1892 by JP Rennoldson & Sons at South Shields for a local tug owner H Andrews
Length 90.3 x 19.2 ft : 122 GRT :  Extended to 100.4 ft : 137 GRT in 1906
Sold for use at Hull by T Gray & Co in 1899 and renamed Frenchman
Lengthened in 1906
Spent World War II on Admiralty service at Boston
Taken over by United Towing  Co of Hull in 1921
After ending her service at Bridlington in 1929 she was converted to a barge and survived as such until 1963

For other services in the East Riding of Yorkshire, click below

Hull - New Holland : Humber Estuary
River Ouse (Yorkshire) and the Humber

Return to
Historical Database